A volunteer at SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity is asking people to help a 100-year-old veteran, former Second World War...
Coach and bus travel savings for serving and former members of the Armed Forces
National Express offers the largest discount of its kind in the UK on its coach services (60% off travel), through the Defence Discount Service, and recently extended the discount to include group bookings, so if a serving member of the Armed Forces books discounted travel with National Express he/she can also book his/family at the full discounted rate. The discount details are as follows.
National Express coach
- 60% discount to serving Armed Forces and Reserve Forces
- 30% discount to spouses/partners of serving personnel, HM Armed Forces Veterans (ex-serving), MoD civil servants, bereaved family members, war/service widow(er)s, Cadet Forces (over 16), NATO personnel in the UK
- 60% to parties when booking as a group with serving Armed Forces and Reserve Forces as the lead (e.g. a family travelling together can book together)
National Express West Midlands (bus services)
- 20% discount to members of the Armed Forces community
- 10% discount to spouses/partners of serving personnel, HM Armed Forces Veterans (ex-serving), MoD civil servants, bereaved family members, war/service widow(er)s, Cadet Forces (over 16), NATO personnel in the UK
- Free travel for families visiting soldiers at the Military Hospital at QE Hospital in Birmingham
This spring, National Express signed up to the governmentís Armed Forces Covenant for a further five years with a new package of pledges to support the Armed Forces:
- guaranteed interviews to Service leavers for all National Express roles across coach and bus (originally available only to those with a PCV licence)
- include spouses and families of Service leavers in its guaranteed interview scheme
- ten days' extra leave for staff in the Reserve Forces
- extend its existing discount of 60% on coach travel for serving personnel to include group bookings
- discounted bus travel on its West Midlands network
- free bus travel to families visiting soldiers at the Military Hospital at the QE in Birmingham and to volunteers on Remembrance Sunday.
The company already employs more than 40 former Forces personnel and Reservists in a variety of roles including.
To find out more about the discounts and offers, and how to register, visit www.defencediscountservice.co.uk/national_express_defence_discount.php
After 38 years’ service, WO1 Eric Bristow, 57, is leaving the Forces this December to work as a gas engineer, having...
RFEA – The Forces Employment Charity is teaming up with representatives from the Fire Service to offer free careers...
Case Studies See all
Ex-Army Officer details plans for character building at independent college
A former Sub Unit Commander, Joint Operational Support Staff Officer, Senior Logistics Operational Officer and Officer Commanding Soldier Development has been appointed head of outdoor education at...Read more »
Iain Clark - ICT Technician
Iain Clark left the RAF in November 2017, having served 12 years, with his final role being ICT Technician in Trade Group 4 (TG4). He left in the rank of Corporal and during his Service gained an...Read more »