When it comes to your resettlement, a number of organisations exist to provide support and guidance, says Hannah...
Once your claim is approved, you’ll find a range of choices available …
ELC are available for full- or part-time study for a qualification at level 3 or above, as defined on the National Qualifications Framework/Regulated Qualifications Framework (NQF/RQF),* with an organisation on the Approved Providers list held by ELCAS and viewable via its website. It could be an A-level, or an NVQ 3 or equivalent award. You may also use ELC to fund anything above that, too, like university modules or nationally recognised diplomas. These might include:
- foundation degrees
- postgraduate qualifications
- other academic qualifications
- professional self-development
- accreditation of prior learning
- vocational training
- registration and accreditation fees
- sports qualifications
- overseas qualifications
- resettlement training (during last two years of service only).
To find out more about accessing higher-level study in particular, click here to read our special HE feature.
CHOOSING A COURSE
Before deciding on a course, you should consider:
- its relevance to your personal development plan
- your ability to undertake it
- likely disruptions to Service requirements
- the flexibility of the study method.
* Although the NQF has been replaced by, first, the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) and subsequently the RQF, national standards and qualifications remain defined within the nine levels of the NQF, which is still referred to in JSP 822. Further details of the different qualification frameworks and levels can be found in JSP 822, downloadable here.
Forcesline, a free and confidential telephone helpline, email and webchat service from SSAFA has been working hard to...
Recent research by Armed Forces SSAFA charity found that 60% of respondents wish they had done more to support others...
Case Studies See all
Gavin served for 24 years in the Royal Logistics Corps, taking part in deployments to the former Yugoslavia, Northern Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan. His last role was as a Brigade Ordnance Warrant...Read more »
The ELC advantage
Using his ELC, Stuart Keillor, a Warfare Officer in the Royal Navy currently working as a programme manager at the MoD London, has combined his military career with continuous learning opportunities,...Read more »