When it comes to your resettlement, a number of organisations exist to provide support and guidance, says Hannah...
Keep your claim on track with our step-by-step guide …
- Read JSP 822 – Defence Direction and Guidance for Training and Education.
- Think about what fits your personal development plan and your future.
- Discuss this with your line manager and education/learning staff.
- Get the necessary approval to enrol.
- Go to the ELCAS website and complete the ELC application form online.
- Check the ELCAS database of Approved Providers to see if the course you wish to enrol on is allowable under the rules.
- If you wish to use a provider that is not on the list, ensure they are eligible to participate in the scheme. Ask them to apply for scheme membership using the information on the ELC website.
- Do not leave everything until the last minute. Allow time for any new publicly funded providers to be accepted on to the scheme, as the registration process can take several weeks. Once they have been accepted, you can submit an application to study with them.
- Providers are expected to waive any initial registration fee, so don’t pay any of your own money towards the cost of their tuition fees – if you do, it will not be refunded.
- You must submit a separate claim form for each year of a course – if you don’t, it could result in support being withdrawn.
- Start learning, and make the most of your life!
ELCAS has produced a useful flow diagram to sum up the claims process. You can find this in the Annex at the end of JSP 822, which can be downloaded from the ELCAS website.
Forcesline, a free and confidential telephone helpline, email and webchat service from SSAFA has been working hard to...
Recent research by Armed Forces SSAFA charity found that 60% of respondents wish they had done more to support others...
Case Studies See all
Ex-Army Officer details plans for character building at independent college
A former Sub Unit Commander, Joint Operational Support Staff Officer, Senior Logistics Operational Officer and Officer Commanding Soldier Development has been appointed head of outdoor education at...Read more »
The security solution
Wesley starts out by saying that he acquired a number of transferable skills during his time in the Army that he believes are of value to civilian companies. He explains: ‘It might not feel like it...Read more »