The Haberdashers’ Aske’s Boys’ School - Sports Centre and Swimming Pool Assistant
Working on behalf of the Estate and PE Department under the direction of the Sports Centre Manager the Sports Centre and Swimming Pool Assistants will assist in running and maintaining the Sports Centre facility and equipment, provide reception and booking functions, assist with the organisation and staffing for key events, act as a swimming coach for learner swimmers and part of a lifeguard team for other swimming events.
- Promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom you are responsible and with whom you come into contact.
- To ensure there is a presence and visibility of Sports Centre staff and other helpers during use and to liaise with security and caretakers to ensure that the facilities are locked when not in use.
Administration and Support
- To manage all Sports Centre bookings for external lets, evening and weekend events including the provision of a reception function for external visitors/users during working hours and outside working hours for major events as required from time to time.
- Assistance to Director Sport and the PE Department in the preparation and provision of equipment and facilities in support of the PE curriculum, including assistance for swimming galas and water polo fixtures and acting as a life guard or swimming teacher.
- Liaising with the cleaning contractor and staff responsible for events to ensure that the cleanliness of the Sports Centre is maintained.
- Manage bookings of the Solai Indoor Cricket Centre.
- Maintain the storage of equipment and resources.
- Prepare sports facilities ready for handover to staff in charge of evening lettings.
- Dealing with problems, complaints or breakages as necessary.
- Promotion of sporting and extra-curricular opportunities.
- Oversee cleaning of the swimming pool by the contractors and conduct maintenance, back wash and regular daily tests of pool water quality during working hours. Arranging with the duty caretaker for testing to be carried out over the weekend and school closure dates where required.
- First line maintenance of sports equipment including cleaning and lubrication of fitness suite equipment
- Plan and organise with maintenance repairs to be carried out and supervise and co-ordinate emergency repairs when required.
Experience and Qualifications
- Experience of working in a sports centre or similar leisure facility, in particular with experience of working in a swimming pool.
- Experience of working in a school is desirable but not essential.
- A sport related or recreational management degree is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and customer service skills, with the ability to interact effectively with boys, staff, senior management and visitors.
- Sound initiative with the confidence and the resilience to see a job through to completion and to seek direction and guidance when needed.
- Competent IT skills with intermediate level MS Office skills preferred.
- Good literacy and numeracy skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Good administrative and organisational skills with the ability to organise and prioritise work.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Tact, humour and assertiveness when required.
- Outgoing, enthusiastic and highly motivated with an interest in sport/sporting activities.
- Discretion, courtesy, honesty and integrity.
- Reliable, punctual, and hard-working.
- Smart, professional and presentable.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Hours: Term time - 35 hours per week Monday to Friday, between the hours of 06:00 – 21:30 on a rota basis with half an hour, unpaid, for lunch.