School Staff Instructor - Combined Cadet Force
We are seeking to recruit an able and enthusiastic School Staff Instructor (SSI) to join King’s College School, Wimbledon, from August 2017.
King’s College School is an independent day school for boys aged 7 -18 and girls aged 16 -18. There are over 160 staff in the two common rooms and 130 non-teaching staff. King’s is one of the most successful schools in the UK, with outstanding academic results and first-class facilities. Overlooking Wimbledon Common, the school is situated in one of the most attractive parts of south east England.
The School Staff Instructor (SSI) is responsible to the head master, through the Contingent Commander, for his Combined Cadet Force (CCF) duties.
The SSI will be involved in the training of Royal Navy, Army and RAF cadets. Other duties may also be required, the nature of which may depend on the skills and interests of the successful applicant.
Roles and Responsibilities
The SSI is responsible for the routine administration of the Contingent under the direction of the Contingent Commander. This includes:
- maintenance of stores records
- arranging authorisation for training
- processing of travel and expenses claims
- maintenance of minibus driving records
- administration of the CCF armoury and ammunition
- regular updating of regulations and pamphlets
- updating of Risk Assessments
- use of the Westminster and Bader CCF databases, including the maintenance of cadet and staff records, and course applications.
The SSI is responsible for the management of the CCF stores, including:
- the organisation of uniforms and military and adventurous training equipment
- maintenance of CCF weapons
- the charging of cadets for losses
Military and Adventure training
The position is a Contingent post, and the SSI will be involved in the training of Royal Navy, Army and RAF cadets. This includes:
- assisting with CCF shooting
- instructing cadets on the Friday training period, on weekend exercises and expeditions, and on holiday activities such as Army summer camp, Adventure Training camp and Duke of Edinburgh expeditions
- assisting with the preparation of Adventure Training and Duke of Edinburgh expeditions
- advising the Contingent Commander on training requirements, and on the maintenance of high and safe standards throughout the CCF
The applicant is likely to be a Senior NCO (Army Sergeants and Warrant Officers, or their equivalent ranks in the Royal Navy and RAF), recently retired or about to retire from the services.
Applications are also invited from retired NCOs who may have spent less time in the services but have particular interest in outdoor pursuits.
Applicants must have a full, clean driving licence, and be prepared to take a minibus driving test.
Closing date: Tuesday 27th June 2017 @ 12 noon
Interviews will be held in the week beginning 3rd July 2017
Early applications are welcome - the interview process may be staged and some interviews held in advance of the closing date if there is large number of applicants for the role.
Further details, including a full job description and application form are available from the school's website, https://www.kcs.org.uk/practical-information/career-opportunities
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.